02/08/2017 – Version 1.5.0 is out!
What is Gaia Sky¶
Gaia Sky is a real-time, 3D, astronomy visualisation software that runs on Windows, Linux and MacOS. It lives in the framework of ESA’s Gaia mission to chart about 1 billion stars of our Milky Way Galaxy. It is developed in the Gaia group of the Astronomisches Rechen-Institut (ZAH, Universität Heidelberg).
- Free and open source – The application is free and open source and will stay this way. You can even contribute to the development or the translations.
- From Gaia to the cosmos – Move freely through the cosmos and descend to the surface of any Planet or do a close-up inspection of Gaia. All movement and transitions are seamless!
- Gaia - Observe Gaia in its orbit and discover its movement in the sky and its attitude.
- 3D ready – With 5 stereoscopic profiles: Anaglyphic (red-cyan), VR headset, 3DTV, cross-eye and parallel view.
- VR ready – Still work in progress but already functional, Gaia Sky VR works with any VR HMD compatible with OpenVR. See the Gaia Sky VR section.
- Planetarium projection mode – Ready to produce videos for full dome systems.
- 360 mode – Ready to produce 360 videos.
- Use your own data – Comes with
CSVand all formats accepted by
- Navigate the galaxy – Support for controllers and gamepads makes navigating the Galaxy a piece of cake.
- Spacecraft mode – Jump aboard a spacecraft to navigate the skies!
- Record and play your camera paths – Ready to record and play camera paths off-the-shelf.
- Scriptable and extensible – Use Python to script and extend the capabilities of Gaia Sky.
- Internationalised – Translated so far to English, German, Spanish, French, Catalan and Slovenian.
- Requirements and Installation
- Running Gaia Sky
- Settings and configuration
- The configuration file
- Graphics settings
- Graphics performance
- User Interface
- Camera modes
- Cinematic camera
- Stereoscopic (3D) mode
- Planetarium mode
- 360 mode
- Recording and playing camera paths
- Internal reference system
- Data: catalogues and formats
- Capturing videos
- Taking screenshots
- Gaia Sky VR